For information on our chapter
Wade Chapter 949
| The first chapter of theUnited Daughters of
the Confederacy of Christiansburg, Virginia was organized in 1896, and
named Montgomery Chapter UDC. The Montgomery Chapte merged with the Captain
Hamilton D. Wade Chapter in 1905. Mr. John U. Sumpter helped organize
the new Chapter. He suggested the name of Captain Hamilton D. Wade to honor
a beloved Confederate Veteran and a well-known and much loved citizen of
Christiansburg and Montgomery County. The Charter was given to the Captain
Hamilton Wade Chapter on November 25, 1905. The first meeting was held
in the home of Mr. Sidney Sheltman on North Franklin Street (this old brick
home has since been torn down) with all members being either wives, daughters
or sisters of Confederate Veterans.
© 2009 Hamilton Wade Chapter UDC
All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from the
the author. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which it is presented, the notes and comments, etc., are.
Website created and designed by Rhonda Fleming Smith
The name "United Daughters of the Confederacy" is a registered trademark of the General Organization
and may not be used outside the Organization without the express written consent of the
United Daughters of the Confederacy, 328 North Boulevard, Richmond, VA 23220-4057.
The official UDC insignia is a registered trademark of the General Organization
and may not be used without the express written consent of the President General.
Various graphics used with permission from the following locations: